Central Connecticut women’s lacrosse won its first contest of the season on Tuesday, defeating the Delaware State Hornets by a score of 12-8. CCSU’s Olivia Gianakos had a hat trick for the Blue Devils with three clutch goals.
FINAL SCORE CCSU 12 Delaware St. 8
RECORDS CCSU (1-4, 0-0 NEC) Delaware St. (0-4, 0-0)
LOCATION Arute Field | New Britain, CT
- CCSU hung two quick goals on the Hornets to start the game, but the Hornets did not lie down from there.
- After two more goals from CCSU (including Gianakos’ second) the Hornets ripped off three straight scores to end the half and retake a 5-4 lead going into the break.
- The Hornets put up one more goal in the third quarter to take a two goal lead, but the CCSU offense snapped into place after this. Over a four minute span in the game, Captain Jessica Denike scored on an unassisted goal, Madison Palumbo cashed in a free position attempt for a score and Gianakos scored her third of the afternoon.
- The Blue Devil offense kept pushing through the third quarter, as Denike scored once more off a rebound from a free position attempt. CCSU’s Katelyn Parker was able to set up the score after drawing three straight foul calls on her free position attempts.
- CCSU hit two more daggers of goals to start the fourth quarter, one from Valluzzi and one from Angelina Anderson. The Blue Devils tacked on yet another two as Parker was able to finally connect on one after coming up just short earlier, and Talie Richardson scored her first of the game with 7:39 to play in the fourth.
- The Hornets kept things exciting thanks to two goals in the final three minutes, but CCSU was able to get out of the jam unscathed, collecting their first win of the season.
- Gianakos is the second Blue Devil to notch a hat trick this season. Sophomore attack Lauren Valluzzi scored four goals earlier this season against the Iona Gaels.
The Blue Devils are back on the road to take on Brown and Wagner before returning to face Merrimack at home on March 30.