Central Connecticut State women’s lacrosse defeated the Howard Bison at home on Saturday in a 14-4 victory. The Blue Devils had two scorers land the elusive hat trick, as Lauren Valluzzi and Jessice Denike each tacked on three scores for CCSU.
FINAL SCORE CCSU
RECORDS CCSU (2-8, 1-3 NEC)
LOCATION Arute Field | New Britain, CT
- Katelyn Parker got the scoring started for CCSU less than four minutes into Saturday’s game. The junior midfielder was assisted on the score by Lauren Valluzzi. The score was Parker’s fifth of the season.
- Sophomore Angelina Anderson converted on a free position attempt just a minute after Parker’s goal, quickly putting CCSU ahead 2-0. Neither team was able to score through the rest of the first quarter, though the Blue Devils sent five shots at the goal before the buzzer rang to signify the quarter’s end.
- Madison Palumbo did not take long to get on the scoreboard in the second quarter, ripping a shot off an assist from Parker with 13:10 still to play in the second. The goal was Palumbo’s seventh on the year.
- The Bison scored their first goal of the afternoon shortly after Palumbo’s goal, though Denike scored her first goal of the day shortly after this.
- Howard scored two more goals that brought them within a goal of the Blue Devils, but the dynamic scoring duo of Denike and Valluzzi each netted a goal before the halftime break that gave CCSU a 6-3 advantage.
- Both defenses came to play to start the second half, as neither team was able to get on the board for the first seven minutes of the third quarter. Olivia Gianakos, CCSU’s leading scorer going into the game, was able to draw a foul on the Bison to set up a free position attempt with 7:35 to play in the third. The junior midfielder deked around the defense on the referee’s whistle and buried one in the net to put CCSU up by four.
- The Blue Devils ended the third period on a run of scores that went Valluzzi, Denike, Valluzzi, putting CCSU ahead 10-3 heading into the final frame.
- Gianakos, Palumbo and Anderson all scored the second goals of the game in the fourth quarter, while Talie Richardson and Rosie Sconzo grabbed their first goals of the game during CCSU’s five-goal fourth quarter.
- The win is the Blue Devils first Northeast Conference victory of the season, putting them at 1-3 against fellow NEC opponents.
- Kya Risher had 11 saves in goal for the Blue Devils.
The Blue Devils host another NEC matchup on Wednesday when the LIU Sharks come into town. CCSU is 2-2 at home this season.