The summer transfer window is closed for the top leagues in Europe! After a summer full of international football, countless clubs waited until the last minute to pull off their transfers. See all the major deals here and check out how we graded the biggest signings. But just because the window is shut until January, that doesn’t mean the rumours won’t keep coming.
TOP STORY: Donnarumma seeks PSG exit to Juve?
Gianluigi Donnarumma is looking to leave Paris Saint-Germain despite only joining in the summer from AC Milan on a free transfer, according to Tuttosport.
The Italy international goalkeeper is reportedly unhappy in Paris, with agent Mino Raiola eyeing a potential move for his client to Juventus in January. Donnarumma started in his side’s 2-0 win over Manchester City on Tuesday in the Champions League, but the report suggests that he isn’t pleased with having to battle incumbent keeper Keylor Navas for the No. 1 spot.
A move to Juventus would see the 22-year-old return to the Serie A, where he spent his career before the move to France. Juventus have been linked with goalkeeper in recent weeks due to a difficult start to the season for Wojciech Szczesny, who was replaced by Mattia Perin for the 3-2 win over Sampdoria.
Donnarumma has seen his stock rise over the past few years, culminating in a Euro 2020 title this summer. He became a key player for Italy between the posts, making 36 appearances for them with 20 clean sheets. He also became a key part of AC Milan’s rebuild that saw them regain a place in the Champions League this season, making 251 appearances with 88 clean sheets before leaving for Paris on a free.
– ESPN+ guide: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, FA Cup, more (U.S.)
– Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (U.S. only)
– Don’t have ESPN? Get instant access
08.53 BST: Manchester City have joined the race for Bayer Leverkusen midfielder Florian Wirtz, according to Bild.
Wirtz, 18, has had a fine season and recently broke Lukas Podolski‘s record to become the youngest player to score 10 goals in the Bundesliga.
Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal are all reportedly interested in Wirtz, but Bayern Munich are leading the queue for his signature in 2023.
08.30 BST: Lionel Messi said that Paris Saint-Germain and his partnership with Neymar and Kylian Mbappe will improve as they play more alongside each other.
Messi expressed the sentiment after he scored his maiden goal for PSG in Tuesday’s 2-0 Champions League victory against Manchester City after the Argentine’s stuttering start to the season.
Messi had been unconvincing in his first three appearances since joining on a two-year contract after leaving Barcelona, but on Tuesday, he reminded everyone of his talent. After a quiet first half, the diminutive forward linked up with Mbappe and found the top corner to effectively wrap up the win in the 74th minute.
“I am very happy to have scored,” said Messi, back on the pitch after sitting out two games with a bruised knee. “I haven’t played much recently. Only one game [at the Parc des Princes], this is the second one here. I am gradually adapting to my new team, to my teammates.
“The more we play together [with Neymar and Mbappe], the better it will be. We must all grow together, increase our level of play. We played well. We have to give our best and continue to do so.”
Gab Marcotti says Sheriff Tiraspol’s win over Real Madrid is why we watch football.
PAPER GOSSIP (by Luke Thrower)
– Leicester City boss Brendan Rogers believes there is “no drama” in trying to keep hold of midfielder Youri Tielemans, but the club are looking at potential successors, according to The Athletic. The report claims that several clubs are interested in the Belgium international, whose contract runs out in 2023, but no concrete offers have been made for his services. Manchester United, Liverpool, Real Madrid and Barcelona are four of the clubs that have been linked with a move for the 24-year-old.
– Paulo Dybala and Juventus have set a deadline of the end of October to reach an agreement over a new contract, according to Gazzetta dello Sport. The 27-year-old is out of contract in the summer and while both parties are optimistic over a renewal, which would see an increase of €1m in salary, they also want to get the saga closed.
– Tottenham Hotspur are planning to move on from midfielder Dele Alli in the summer, according to Football Insider. The 25-year-old was reportedly free to leave the club in the summer window but were unable to reach an agreement in valuation for the player. Spurs are unlikely to let him go in January, as they hope his value improves over the season.
– Real Betis are set to offer World Cup winner Nabil Fekir a new long-term contract, according to Marca. The 28-year-old’s deal expires in 2023 and the LaLiga club are hoping to keep the playmaker as part of the project under Manuel Pellegrini. Fekir joined Betis from Lyon after a move to Liverpool fell through in the final days of the 2019 window.
– Lorenzo Pellegrini has put pen to paper on a new contract with AS Roma, according to Calciomercato. The Roma captain will stay with the club until 2024 with a salary of roughly €4m-a-year and, importantly for his club, it will remove a €30m release clause that is in his current deal.