The AFF has amended its Selection Policy and Rankings Policy to give effect to a revamped National Squad and High Performance Program, which aim to develop a strong, robust and holistic national program while supporting a more personalised approach to athlete training commitments.
Although international travel remains problematic, the AFF is proceeding with a qualification process for international events in 2022. Consideration has been given to how selections might be made, depending on what is possible for national tournaments, with different scenarios addressed below.
Selections for international events will be made under the amended Selection Policy, which takes effect on November 1st, 2021. The amended Rankings Policy takes effect on February 3rd, 2022.
To learn more about the National Squad and its High Performance Program visit the webpage here.
While no ranking points can be earned from participation in international events prior to Feb 1st 2022 (cadets and juniors) or March 20th 2022 (seniors), the High Performance Commission may offer registration in an overseas tournament to National Squad Members prior to these dates for the purpose of practice and exposure.
Selection scenarios for 2022
If the 2021 National Open and Veteran Championships are held:
- the selection cycle will conclude with this event before beginning the new selection cycle at the above-mentioned dates: for cadet and Junior on February 1, for Senior on March 20 2022.
- all positions for the 2022 Asian and World Championships teams will be determined by Australian Ranking. Starting from the new selection cycle there will be a Qualifier Event to determine the final place (i.e., for cadet/junior at the National Open Championships 2022, and for senior AFC 1 2023).
If the 2021 National Open and Veteran Championships are not held and the AFC Supplementary proceeds in January 2022:
- all positions for 2022 International Events will be selected based on Australian Rankings.
If the neither the 2021 National Open and Veteran Championships nor the 2022 AFC Supplementary are held:
- one position for the Seniors category for Asian Championships and World Championships may be determined by a Qualifier Event at AFC1 in accordance with the amended Selection Policy. The Qualifier Event would provide an opportunity for National Squad Members ranked 4th through 11th, at the date of selection, to fence a direct elimination competition for the final spot on the 2022 Asian and World Championship teams. This event would be held alongside AFC1.
If AFC1 does not proceed, and therefore the Qualifier Event, if required, is unable to be held then the final spot on Asian and World Championship team for senior category will be based on Australian Rankings.
Importantly, please see the AFF’s announcement regarding the management of Rankings Points for the remainder of the 2021 season here.
2022 Selection Dates and New Selection Cycles are as follows:
Selection dates for events for 2022
- 2022 Asian Junior and Cadet Championships – January 3, 2022
- 2022 World Junior and Cadet Championships – January 3, 2022
- 2022 Asian Championships & World Championships Senior – February 1, 2022
- 2022 Commonwealth Fencing Championships (All categories) – May 20, 2022
- 2022 Asian Games – July 3, 2022
- 2022 HPC Designated Events, the selection date will be two months prior to the date of the Event or as otherwise notified by the HPC.
- For International Event (non-Designated) or International Event (Other) the selection date will be 35 days prior to the date of the Event. Athletes who are not members of the National Squad must apply to the HPC 45 days prior to the event
New Selection Cycle Dates for 2022/2023
2022 International Championships and HPC Designated Events
National Squad Members no longer need to nominate for specific events and are automatically considered.
National Squad Members will be given three days to confirm their acceptance of a position before that position is offered to the next fencer, in accordance with the Selection Policy.
For the 2022 season, two reserves will be chosen for International Championships (defined in the Selection Policy), and one reserve for HPC Designated Events.
For International Event (non-Designated) or International Event (Other) National Squad Members will be given two days only to accept their position before it is offered to the next National Squad Member or non-Member, in accordance with the Selection Policy.
Performance thresholds and minimum point requirements
These will be set aside for 2022 selections due to the impact of health restrictions on fencers, and reduced access to competitions. Thresholds for 2023 will be reintroduced and communicated prior to the opening of nominations for the National Squad for that season.
For further enquiries please contact [email protected]