Central Connecticut State softball won both games of its doubleheader against Siena Tuesday. Kaylee Whittaker shut out the Saints in game one and Paige Stringer hit a walk-off home run in the eighth inning of game two.
GAME 1 INFORMATION
FINAL SCORE CCSU 4 Siena 0
RECORDS CCSU (4-27, 1-8) Siena (15-12, 4-0 MAAC)
LOCATION CCSU Softball Field
- Whittaker breezed through the Saints lineup, going three-up, three-down through the lineup through the first four innings with three strikeouts.
- Meg Gorman got the Blue Devils started with a single in the bottom of the first. The Saints fumbled a ball hit by Paige Stringer that landed her on base. Kim Howard scored the Blue Devils’ first run of the day on a single out to left field that plated Gorman.
- After Kristin Rose led off the fourth inning with a walk, Brooke Fedison advanced her up to third with a single. Meg Dugas scored Rose with a sacrifice groundout. After Dugas’ RBI, Stringer loaded up the bases with a single, but the Blue Devils could not plate another run in the fourth.
- The Saints got their first hit of the game in the fifth inning when a ball reached just past the extended glove.
- Bri Walker and Jazmin Lasane got the bottom of the fifth inning started with a single and double, respectively. After Siena secured two straight strikeouts, Fedison drew a walk that loaded up the bases. Dugas smacked a double out to the outfield that scored her second and third RBI of the day.
- The Blue Devils loaded up the bases again in the bottom of the sixth inning, but were unable to plate another run. However, they did not need to, as Whittaker completed the shutout in the seventh.
- Whittaker’s shutout was the first of the season for CCSU. She tossed four strikeouts in the performance.
- Dugas led the Blue Devils with three RBIs.
GAME 2 INFORMATION
FINAL SCORE CCSU 8 Siena 7
RECORDS CCSU (4-27, 1-8) Siena (15-13, 4-0 MAAC)
LOCATION CCSU Softball Field
- Siena led off the second inning of game two with a single, but the runner was able to advance to second on the throw in, then stole third. After drawing a walk, the Saints grounded out to drive in the first run of the game.
- Walker was hit by a pitch to start the bottom of the second inning, and Matison Piripavel advanced her along the base path with a single. Katie Master hit a ball over the gloves of the infield that loaded up the bases, but the Saints turned a double play after catching a ball hit hard out to third base.
- CCSU again loaded up the bases in the bottom of the third inning. Kim Howard hit a sac fly out to left field to plate CCSU’s first run, and Walker cleared the rest of the runners with a no-doubter of a home run, putting CCSU up 4-1.
- The Saints took the first pitch of the fourth inning deep out to center field to get Siena another run.
- The Saints loaded up the bases in the top of the fifth inning, and promptly unloaded them with a grand slam.
- Bruyns smacked a double out to center field to get the sixth inning started. Alex Rodgers drew a walk after this, and Dugas again stepped up to the plate and delivered, scoring the first run of CCSU’s rally.
- An error from the outfield plated another run for CCSU, and a sac fly from Howard scored the tying run.
- Stringer said that the game had gone on long enough, and promptly rocketed a ball out to center field, taking the win for CCSU.
The Blue Devils travel to Wagner this weekend for another Northeast Conference series.