Down a run heading into the sixth inning, Central Connecticut State softball rallied for a two run sixth inning that led them to a 4-3 victory over Sacred Heart on Wednesday. Meg Gorman led the Blue Devils with three hits on four plate appearances, along with two RBI’s. Kaylee Whittaker pitched a sound seven innings for CCSU, striking out six.
GAME 3 INFORMATION
FINAL SCORE CCSU 4 SHU 3
RECORDS CCSU (6-34, 2-13 NEC) SHU (11-31, 4-11)
LOCATION Pioneer Park | Fairfield, CT
- The Pioneers got two runners across in the bottom of the first inning after a wild pitch advanced runners into scoring position. A single scored both runners, and a strikeout retired the side.
- Whittaker pitched a three up, three down second inning for CCSU. Neither team batted for more than a single hit from the second through the fourth inning.
- Molly Bruyns doubled to right center to lead off the fifth inning and was advanced to third on a single from Alex Rodgers. Gorman got her second hit of the day on a single that scored Bruyns and Rodgers, making it a 2-2 game.
- SHU hit a double and a single to lead off the bottom of the fifth, and took the lead right back with a single that scored a run. However, the Blue Devil defense was able to turn a double play to get out of the inning and keep the Pioneer lead at a run.
- Kim Howard hit a leadoff home run out to left field that tied the game at three runs a piece.
- After reaching first on a fielder’s choice, Bruyns was advanced to third on a double from Katie Master. Rodgers singled to the shortstop to scored Bruyns and give CCSU its first lead of the ballgame.
- Whittaker pitched a three up, three down sixth inning before allowing one hit in the seventh and securing the win.
The Blue Devils return home for a weekend series against LIU, starting with a doubleheader on Saturday.