Central Connecticut State University softball fell late to Quinnipiac on Wednesday, losing 10-7. The Bobcats scored four runs in the top of the seventh inning to take the lead and ultimately game.
FINAL SCORECCSU 7 Quinnipiac 10
RECORDSCCSU (3-25, 1-5 NEC) Quinnipiac (5-14, 1-3 MAAC)
LOCATIONCCSU Softball Field | New Britain, CT
- The Blue Devils faced a 3-0 deficit early after the Bobcats’ hot start at the plate. After CCSU had recorded the first two outs of the first inning, Quinnipiac strung together three straight singles to load up the bases. The Bobcats hit a triple in the next at bat that cleared the bases.
- CCSU quickly evened the score in the bottom of the first. Matison Piripavel doubled down the left field line to score Meg Gorman, who drew a leadoff walk. Paige Stringer followed that up with a home run that scored herself and Piripavel, leveling this game at three-all.
- Both offenses cooled off a bit after the explosive first inning, with each team collecting a hit each over the next two innings.
- Kaylee Whittaker had been pitching some shutdown ball since she came in relief, but a solo home run in the top of the fourth inning gave Quinnipiac the lead again once more.
- Anddddd the Blue Devils took it right back again. The Bobcat defense made an error in the field that allowed Katie Master to get on out of the leadoff spot. Two passed balls allowed her to move all the way up to third, and a single from Meg Gorman brought her home and tied the game up again.
- The Bobcats hit a two run homer in the top of the fifth that swung them back up front again.
- A leadoff double from Kim Howard was just what the doctor ordered for CCSU. Bri Walker hit a no doubter of a home run that scored herself and Howard, evening things at six this time.
- Ashley Antonazzo came in and delivered a quick three-up, three-down sixth inning that the Blue Devils desperately needed. Stringer again delivered in the clutch in the bottom of the sixth, smashing a double that scored Kim Howard, giving CCSU its first lead of the afternoon.
- Three outs away from a win, the Blue Devils gave up four runs in the seventh inning to the Bobcats. Back-to-back singles started things off, and a double after this tied things up at seven. Before the inning was over, a sacrifice bunt and a blooper of a single scored two more runs, giving Quinnipiac a 10-7 lead over CCSU.
- Katie Master drew a walk to start the potential final frame, and Meg Dugas quickly pushed her along the basepath with a double. Down to their last out, Piripavel battled for a long at bat that ultimately ended in a flyout to left field.
- Stringer led CCSU with three RBI’s on the day. Walker was right behind her with two.
- Dugas led the Blue Devils with three hits on the afternoon.
The Blue Devils play a series at Mount St. Mary’s this weekend, starting with a Saturday doubleheader.