Central Connecticut State softball dropped the final game of its weekend series with Mount St. Mary’s Sunday, falling to the Mountaineers 9-1.
FINAL SCORE CCSU 1 MSM 9
RECORDS CCSU (3-27, 1-8 NEC) MSM (15-14, 7-2 NEC)
LOCATION Emmitsburg, Maryland
- The Blue Devils got into some hot water early into Sunday’s game against the Mountaineers. After a walk and single started things out for MSM’s offense, a throwing error from the Blue Devils left the Mount with enough time to steal home. A sacrifice ground out brought in a second run. Another error and wild pitch gave the Mount a runner on third again, this one eventually scoring on a single. A strikeout got the Blue Devils out of the inning.
- After a quick 1-2-3 inning from the CCSU bats, the Mount led off with another walk and single, and took advantage of another error to get both runners in scoring position with no outs. A wild pitch got away from the Blue Devils and left enough time for MSM to plate another run. Two singles and a double after this produced two more runs for the Mount before the inning was over, putting them ahead 7-0 heading into the third inning.
- The Blue Devil bats starting clicking in the top of the third. After Brooke Fedison drew a walk, Meg Dugas, Katie Master and Paige Stringer hit consecutive singles that loaded up the bases and got CCSU’s first run of the day on the board.
- Kaylee Whittaker cruised through the Mount lineup after coming in relief, but a solo shot blip added yet another run for MSM.
- Dugas hit a leadoff double to start the fifth and Kim Howard was able to draw a walk to get another run aboard, but the Blue Devils could not convert here.
- Meg Gorman led off the top of the sixth with a hard hit double to left field.
- Kaylee Whittaker struck out four of the first five batters she faced. She finished with six strikeouts over 3.1 innings pitched.
The Blue Devils host Siena for a doubleheader this Tuesday.