Central Connecticut fell at Wagner, 16-5, in its women’s lacrosse Northeast Conference opener on Saturday in Staten Island, NY. Graduate student Rosie Sconzo and junior Olivia Gianakos each had two goals to lead the Blue Devils.
Score: Central Connecticut 5, Wagner 16
Records: CCSU (1-6, 0-1 NEC), Wagner (3-6, 1-0 NEC)
Location: Hameline Field | Staten Island, NY
- Wagner scored the opening five goals of the game before junior Katelyn Parker got CCSU on the board with 3:05 to play in the first quarter. In the second quarter, the teams combined for five scores and alternated tallies. Graduate student Rosie Sconzo and junior Olivia Gianokos each notched a score in the period for the Blue Devils to make it 8-3 at halftime.
- The Seahawks scored five straight to open the second half before Sconzo tallied a score off an assist from sophomore Lauren Valluzzi. Gianakos would score her second of the day with 2:45 to go in the third to make it 13-5. Wagner would outscore Central, 3-0 in the final quarter to settle the scoring.
- Valuzzi and Gianakos each had two goals on four shots to lead CCSU. Gianakos added four ground balls.
- Senior Makayla Hutchinson had a team-high five ground balls.
- Hutchinson and Valluzzi each recorded a pair of caused turnovers.
- Sophomore Kya Risher made a season-high 21 saves between the pipes.
The Blue Devils host Merrimack in a conference contest on Wednesday, April 30, at 4:00 p.m.