The Central Connecticut women’s lacrosse squad held an early lead, but was unable to hold momentum before falling to Merrimack, 12-4, on Wednesday at Arute Field. Junior Olivia Gianakos recorded a hat trick for the Blue Devils.
Score: Central Connecticut 4, Merrimack 12
Records: CCSU (1-7, 0-2 NEC), MC (2-6, 2-0 NEC)
Location: Arute Field | New Britain, CT
- Merrimack sc ored just 37 seconds into the game and would lead 2-0 at the 9:12 mark of the first quarter before CCSU came storming back.
- Senior Jessica Denike got CCSU on the board midway through the first quarter to spark a run of four unanswered goals. Gianakos recorded her first score of the day off a feed from Denike to tie the game at the 3:37 mark.
- Gianakos kept the Blue Devils run going with two goals to open the second quarter. Her first came on a free position shot while CCSU had an advantage and she would score an unassisted marker at the 7:35 mark to make it 4-2.
- The Warriors would score three goals in the final 4:29 of the quarter to take a 5-4 lead at halftime. Catherine Mahanna scored with 0:01 left in the half to put Merrimack ahead for good. Merrimack outscored Central 5-0 in the third quarter before tacking on two goals in the final period.
- Gianakos has a team-high 13 goals on the season.
- Sophomore Kya Risher made 14 saves in goal and had four groundballs.
- Junior Katelyn Parker had two draw controls for CCSU.
The Blue Devils face Sacred Heart on Saturday, April 9.