Back to normal for the Sunday racing this week with both tracks hosting daytime meetings. Seoul has 10 races from 10:45 to 18:00 while Busan has 7 from 11:35 to 17:05. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens in the opener with eight of the eleven racing for the first time. We’re siding with experience though and (4) WONPYEONG TOWN, a grizzled veteran in this company with two starts behind him, will be favourite. After running a solid 5th on debut in June, he followed up with an on-pace 3rd on July 16th in a good time. He can lead again here, and it can be third-time lucky. (10) ULTRA GALAXY was 4th in that July 16th race, making his debut. He should have come on for the experience and with Moon Se-young remaining aboard, will have some backers to improve. (3) SAENAE TOWN is the pick of the first-timers. He went through two trials, improving in the second of them, crossing the line as runner-up in a fast time. If he brings that form to the races, he has every chance of making a big impression. (11) GIANT INDY and (8) COMPLETE FORCE are other debut-makers who caught the eye in trials and may go well.
|Selections||(4) Wonpyeong Town (10) Ultra Galaxy (3) Saenae Town (11) Giant Indy|
|Next Best||8, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 8, 11|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
More juvenile maidens with seven of the twelve racing for the first time. Once more we side with experience and (6) ULTRA SOCKS, who races here for the third time and came close to making all on July 23rd, only to go down to a late and narrow victory. He’ll be leading here again, and this time can go all the way. (8) DRAGON STAR is the second favourite. He won a June trial before placing 3rd on debut on July 17th over this distance, settling in midfield and working home well. He won’t need to improve much to be in the finish again. (12) HANGANG YEOUL also seems on the right trajectory. After an inauspicious debut, he improved to 4th at start number two on July 24th and despite the wide gate, should be competitive again. Among the debut-makers, (4) RAON AMERICAN posted the fastest trial time and be considered first-up. (9) CHALLANHAN POKPUNG took three goes to qualify but looked significantly better in the latest of them and is another who can be competitive.
|Selections||(6) Ultra Socks (8) Dragon Star (12) Hangang Yeoul (4) Raon American|
|Next Best||9, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 8, 12|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens with all but two of the twelve racing for the first time. That experienced pair will be on the top of most tickets though, especially (2) HAMPYEONG MAN. He led for much of the way around on debut over this distance on July 3rd, ultimately finishing in 2nd place in a good time, albeit well behind a good winner. He draws nicely here to lead again and should have too much. (5) HWANGHU FIGHTER was also well back behind a good winner on his debut on July 17th, but he settled midfield and ran on pleasingly enough for 4th. With some natural improvement he can get closer today. Regarding the first timers, (7) DREAM OF QUEEN showed ability in easily winning her trial in a fair time with an on-pace showing and she looks the most likely to challenge here. (6) MOTHER MOUNTAIN and (12) CUQUENAN others who can make an impact first-up.
|Selections||(2) Hampyeong Man (5) Hwanghu Fighter (7) Dream Of Queen (6) Mother Mountain|
|Next Best||12, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 7, 11|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Filly maidens here. (3) MONEY TAP comes in off her best finish to date when 4th over 1200M in a similar all-filly maiden on July 24th, settling back and running on. She has posted fair times at this distance and has as good a chance as any here. (6) SARANG DAMOA returned from six months out to run a promising 4th over 1400M on July 30th sitting handy throughout. She should strip fitter for that run and should be in the finish today. (7) GENTLE RULES has the fastest time among these for the distance. She got a long way back from a wide draw in that race but still ran on pleasingly enough and from a better gate today can improve. (10) BEST MAD CAM was a much-improved runner-up last time out over 1200M. The same apprentice jockey keeps her carried weight nice and low and brings her into contention. (12) MAGIC MOCCASIN another in the placing frame.
|Selections||(3) Money Tap (6) Sarang Damoa (7) Gentle Rules (10) Best Mad Cam|
|Next Best||12, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 6, 12|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(2) PEOPLE POWER is set to be warm favourite for this maiden. She improved to 2nd on her second outing on July 24th when settling handy, dropping back and then running on over 1000M. She comes up in trip for the first time and from a good gate, there is every chance that it can suit. (6) MYEONGSEONG CHARGE races for the first time since last November. She had hinted at ability with a 4th and a 5th from wide draws in her first two starts and she looked well in her trial at the end of July. She will obviously need the run, but the opposition isn’t intimidating. (12) RADAR returns to action for the first time since March. She too showed ability, especially with her on pace runner-up finish on debut in January and she crossed the line first in a fair time in her trial last month. (4) MAGIC HILL has been knocking on the door of the minor money places and will be on pace with a chance to be in this a long way. (10) I LOVE HANSEN can improve on an inauspicious debut having previously trialed well.
|Selections||(2) People Power (6) Myeongseong Charge (12) Radar (4) Magic Hill|
|Next Best||10, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
A fascinating race for the level with plenty in the frame. (3) WONDERFUL WOMAN has as good a chance as any. She won well at class and distance three starts back and has finished 2nd and 3rd in two subsequent outings. She carries 3kg more than when she won but she draws nicely to lead and once in front, she may be hard to dislodge. (10) THUNDER FLASH remains a maiden after ten attempts but has gone close, especially last time out on July 10th when 2nd at class and distance. He comes up 2.5kg in the weights on that day and the draw is not ideal but moon Se-young remains aboard, and he may well start as betting favourite. (7) SILVER STAR has plenty of experience at this level and was runner-up at class and distance on July 16th. An apprentice climbs on today, keeping her carried weight low and she can be in the finish again. (5) SINHAN TEUKSONG ran 4th behind Thunder Flash last time out and can match or better today. (6) EUNPA MOUNTAIN comes up in class after a comfortable win at this distance on July 24th and can measure up.
|Selections||(3) Wonderful Woman (10) Thunder Flash (7) Silver Star (5) Sinhan Teuksong|
|Next Best||6, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 10, 12|
Busan Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Tricky maiden with little in the way of convincing form. Therefore, despite the wide gate, we’ll side with (10) DOUBLE TAP. After an encouraging trial, he ran 5th of eleven on debut over 1200M on July 31st, coming from well back to pass a few late on. With some natural improvement here, he has as good a chance as any. Given the stable he is from, it would be no surprise if the solitary debut-maker, (4) WONDERFUL ROMANCE, started as favourite. She touched the front in her trial, ultimately crossing the line a very close 3rd in a fair time. Her dam has produced a couple of useful ones already, and she couldn’t have a softer first assignment. (1) GOLD SWEET has four top-four finishes from seven appearances. She weakened over 1400M having worked hard to get on pace last time out but should get an easier run today. (6) ARCTURUS and (9) ECTON POWER others to consider.
|Selections||(10) Double Tap (4) Wonderful Romance (1) Gold Sweet (6) Arcturus|
|Next Best||9, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6, 10|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Another puzzle here. (1) GLOBAL BOBAE beat three of these on his way to his maiden victory at class and distance on July 9th when settling back and running on strong. He comes up 3.5kg, but that is balanced somewhat by a nice draw on the inside, and another win isn’t impossible. (5) MARUMA is yet to score in six outings but is up in class following a very narrow defeat over 1300M on July 16th. He likes to race on pace or handy, has run consistently good times, and should be in the mix again today. (7) LONDON SKY only beat one home in that July 9th race behind Global Bobae. However, the margins weren’t huge, and he expended plenty of effort getting on pace from the widest gate. Go on his form prior to that and he has a big chance here. (8) COMPLETE WEAPON and (2) YAMUJIN BAEJJANG are others who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(1) Global Bobae (5) Maruma (7) London Sky (8) Complete Weapon|
|Next Best||2, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 7, 8|
Busan Race 4: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Fillies and mares only here. (5) CHEONNYEONUIGUREUM has finished in the top-four on no fewer than thirteen occasions but has somehow managed to remain winless in twenty-five starts. That really should change here as she enters in good form and beat a couple of today’s rivals on her way to 3rd place at class and distance last time. She does carry a couple of extra kilos, but it should be twenty-sixth time lucky. (9) QUEEN OF THE QUEEN is the only one in the field to have won at this distance. She too enters with recent form reading well with a 2nd and a 3rd from her latest two, both at class and distance and she can keep her consistent run going here. (8) THUNDER CLOUD comes up in class and back up in trip after winning well over 1300M at the end of July. She can measure up at this level. (12) NORTHERN LIGHTS and (10) RAON THE FLASH other placing hopes.
|Selections||(5) Cheonnyeonuigureum (9) Queen Of The Queen (8) Thunder Cloud (12) Northern Lights|
|Next Best||10, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 7, 10|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Competitive race. (9) LAPIEO BAN was a class and distance winner two starts back before running 4th behind Wow Wow in a small field on July 17th. The draw is not ideal here as she likes to be on pace, but she is consistent at the distance and has solid claims. (5) ICE STAR comes in off a good 2nd place over 1400M in what was his first try at this class. He was a fair 4th on a previous try at this distance and the Moon-factor aboard will probably make him favourite here. (1) SOARA BABA won at this distance at class 5 level and has a win over 1800M at this class to her name. She should get an easier run from the inside gate than she did on her last start 3rd, and she has as strong a finish as any in the race. (7) GEUM SEDA took twenty goes to get his maiden win, but he promptly followed it up with another, both over 1700M. He comes up in class today but is down in weight and while a hat-trick may be unlikely, he could sneak a place. (8) RUNNING NUMBER ONE, who beat Soara Baba when runner-up last start, is another in the hunt.
|Selections||(9) Lapieo Ban (5) Ice Star (1) Soara Baba (7) Geum Seda|
|Next Best||8, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 6, 9|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(6) MENI AGAIN has a 3rd and a 2nd in two attempts at this level, both over this distance and both in fast times. She comes back into restricted filly and mare company here, can sit on or just behind the speed, and should have far too much. (11) QUEEN ALLIE comes up in class following an all the way score over 1300M on July 31st. That was her maiden win on her fourth start but the manner of it suggests there could be more to come. She has run 2nd from gate eleven before so while she may need a touch of luck early, she can be considered. (5) MORNING THUNDER is a winner at this class over 1400M. She has a fast finish on her and while she can leaver herself a bit too much to do, an apprentice jockey puts her back at a weight she can be competitive. (10) B. K. MARSHALL and (1) NAMED others in the frame.
|Selections||(6) Meni Again (11) Queen Allie (5) Morning Thunder (10) B. K. Marshall|
|Next Best||1, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 10, 12|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(4) FOREVER KHAN was a front-running class and distance winner on July 3rd, winning well with three of today’s rivals behind him. He comes up 2kg for that performance, but that’s slightly balanced by a better gate, and he has every chance of winning again. (8) ACHIM HAMSEONG comes in with consistent recent form at this class both at 1700M and 1800M. Tactically versatile, she has a strong finish, and she should be in the mix at the business end of the race again. (9) TITAN SOCKS has seven top-three finishes from nine starts so far, including his latest three which have all ended in 3rd place when sent off as favourite. He won’t be favourite this time, but he can place again. (11) WHITE CHARM and (3) CHEONMA BISANG are among plenty of others who can sneak a place on their day.
|Selections||(4) Forever Khan (8) Achim Hamseong (9) Titan Socks (11) White Charm|
|Next Best||3, 7|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 7, 10|
Busan Race 6: Class 3 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(5) ALIVE CAPTAIN comes in having gone down to a very narrow defeat at class and distance on June 17th, having briefly led. He has won at the distance at lower levels and continues to be nicely weighted. He draws well and can win here. The main danger looks to be (2) WIND HIGH. She comes in having run an extremely creditable 6th in the KNN Cup over this distance on July 17th and at the start before, won at class 4 level, again over a mile, making all. She is very nicely weighted, very nicely drawn, and has excellent claims. (10) DONGTEUJA BOY looks ready to tackle the mile for the first time, having run on well for 2nd in both his latest two starts at this class over 1400M. The wide draw shouldn’t be too much of an issue and he can run on here. (8) DOCTOR FAITH and (9) ADELE PUPIL are others in at least the placing hunt.
|Selections||(5) Alive Captain (2) Wind High (10) Dongteuja Boy (8) Doctor Faith|
|Next Best||9, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 7, 10|
Seoul Race 8: Class 3 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(1) RAON BEAT has won up to 1800M and is versatile in tactically which can be important with the 1600M start having the potential for somewhat chaotic starts. Last time out he was a good 2nd over 1800M, and he has every chance here. (5) MIGHTY WELL resumes for the first time since March and looked well enough in a trial at the end of July. That March run, a good 3rd over 1700M, is his only one in 2022 so far but he looks nicely weighted here and is worth a go at what will be relatively big odds. (4) MUNHAK MOON can mix his form but ran a very good 2nd over 1700M at this class on June 19th. He has his share of weight to carry here but can be competitive again. (10) DUSON JANGGUN has been close-up in recent outings and last time out was 2nd over 1800M. He has the challenge of the wide draw and a big weight but is race fit, can settle midfield and run on. (7) WHIZ MOMENT another who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(1) Raon Beat (5) Mighty Well (4) Munhak Moon (10) Duson Janggun|
|Next Best||7, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 6, 7|
Busan Race 7: Class 1 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 110 Million
The set weights here make for a competitive race but (2) MACH TITAN will be clear favourite having beaten three of these on his way to 2nd place over 2000M on July 22nd. He was a class 1 winner over 1400M from a wide gate at the start before and from a good draw will be hard to hold out here. (9) SMART PRINCE was 3rd in that July 22nd race when, as is his style, he ran on after settling midfield. He has won at class and distance this year and may offer some value here. (6) CRAZY CONTI is another with solid form at class and distance. He was a touch disappointing in that July 22nd race but his form leading up to it was good and he can be given another chance here. (8) DOMINATION has a pair of 4th place finishes from his two attempts at this class so far, including that July 22nd race behind Mach Titan and Smart Prince. He should be in the mix to match or better today. (4) DAEMANGUI GIL is more renowned these days as a sprinter, but he ran 4th in the Owners’ Cup over a mile last month and can sneak some money here.
|Selections||(2) Mach Titan (9) Smart Prince (6) Crazy Conti (8) Domination|
|Next Best||4, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 8|
Seoul Race 9: Class 4 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(2) SARYEONI FIRST has won at 1700M and will find this an easier assignment than his latest two when 7th the Korean Derby and an excellent 4th of sixteen in the Minister’s Cup, the final leg of the Triple Crown. He is nicely draw and can be expected to be more forward than in recent starts. The big danger is (1) FIRST DREAM, who has won his latest two, most recently a narrow victory at class and distance on July 16th when he led all the way around. He likes to race forward and is well drawn again to do so. (7) MANSE has won and placed at this class and while he didn’t go well on his latest appearance on July 24th, his prior form suggests he can be given another chance here. (9) P N S CHANCE comes up in class following a last start win over 1200M on July 23rd. She has the benefit of the apprentice claim, and she can measure up. (3) GOLDEN BADGE another who could sneak into the minor money.
|Selections||(2) Saryeoni First (1) First Dream (7) Manse (9) P N S Chance|
|Next Best||3, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 10: Class 3 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
A competitive race to close with. We’ll take a chance on (2) DREAM KNOCK. Disregard her latest start when she came back slightly lame and instead go on previous good form at class and distance including a 3rd and a 2nd in May and June. She likes to race forward and with the nice draw, she is worth consideration. (7) POWER BOX comes up in class here following a win over this distance on July 3rd when he made all in a good time. He won’t need to improve much to be very competitive in this company. (12) BEST TAP was a winner over this distance at class 4 level three starts back and has since run 3rd and 2nd in two goes at this class. His times have been good and while the wide draw may mean he will need some early luck, he can’t be ruled out. (5) A TO Z and (1) TOP SEED are others in the mix.
|Selections||(2) Dream Knock (7) Power Box (12) Best Tap (5) A To Z|
|Next Best||1, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 7, 11|