Tottenham manager Antonio Conte has delivered an injury update ahead of his side’s clash against Newcastle United on Sunday.
What’s the story?
Speaking in his pre-match press conference ahead of the game against the Magpies, the Spurs boss said (via Alasdair Gold): “Good news for Oliver Skippy, and Ryan Sessegnon, they are very very close to being back with the team. They are improving a lot. They are having important training sessions, not with the team but apart. I hope next week to have both players back with the team.”
Great news for Spurs
Having been sent off in the disappointing 2-1 defeat to NS Mura in the Europa Conference League earlier this season, Sessegnon has turned things around at Tottenham, leaving insider John Wenham delighted with his impact.
Speaking after a particularly impressive performance from the 21-year-old against Norwich, Wenham said: “Huge credit to Ryan Sessegnon. He produced one of the best performances I’ve seen from him after he came on. Sessegnon looked like a real option, he was really hugging that left-hand side.
“That was much, much better from Sessegnon, I was so pleased. He was rightly sent off against Mura, I have no complaints with that. But what an amazing response from him. Clearly he’s knuckled down at Hotspur Way and I really hope he can build on that now.”
With Spurs heading into the business end of the season in the Premier League, the need for Conte to have a fully fit squad available to him has never been greater.
The Lilywhites cannot afford to have any more injuries, and the news that both Sessegnon and also Skipp will return soon is a huge boost for Conte as he looks to push for that final Champions League spot.
At a time when Spurs need to keep picking up victories, they have been give a huge and timely lift. It’s news which will surely have Conte very much excited.
AND in other news – Spurs now “in the race” for “swashbuckling” 6 ft machine, Conte will be buzzing