Manchester United welcome Villarreal to Old Trafford in Group F of 2021-22 UEFA Champions League Group Stage.
Victory for Man Utd could put them into the top two positions of Group F, whereas Villarreal could go top with a win unless Young Boys defeat Atalanta or the Serie A team beats their Swiss opposition and betters Villarreal’s result.
Embed from Getty Images
Man Utd will be without Aaron Wan-Bissaka after he was red carded in their defeat at Young Boys two weeks ago.
Luke Shaw (knock) is a doubt but Harry Maguire (calf) is ruled out and joins Amad Diallo (thigh) and Marcus Rashford (shoulder) on the sidelines.
Villarreal have no fresh injury concerns to report as Juan Foyth (back), Samuel Chukwueze (hip) and Gerard Moreno (muscle) remain absent.
- Manchester United are unbeaten in four previous Champions League meetings against Villarreal (D4).
- Villarreal are unbeaten in two previous Champions League visits to Old Trafford (D2)
- All four previous Champions League meetings between Manchester United and Villarreal have finished goalless.
- Man Utd have won just one of their last five European matches at home to Spanish opposition (W1, D2, L2).
- Villarreal are winless in their last seven away matches against English opposition in all UEFA competitions (D3, L4).
After suffering two consecutive home defeats by one goal margins in two domestic competitions, Man Utd definitely need a huge improvement here because their defence looked shaky throughout Saturday’s loss to Aston Villa whilst their attack was largely ineffective and wasteful.
Villarreal meanwhile are a difficult team to play against with no defeats this season yet have won just once meaning that they will be tough to predict, especially with four goalless draws whilst two other draws finished 2-2 which highlights how unpredictable they’re in attack but tight defensively.
The first goal therefore feels like it could be decisive because if Utd can score first, I fancy them to kick on here and get the win but if Villarreal go in front then this could get scrappy given their quality against a fierce Utd attack who will be eying a draw at minimum.
Prediction: Manchester United 1-1 Villarreal