Tottenham" 24956 target="_blank">Tottenham Hotspur look to end a run of three consecutive league defeats as they welcome Aston Villa to Tottenham" 24956 target="_blank">Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.
Embed from Getty Images
Tottenham have no fresh injury concerns to report after Thursday’s Europa Conference League home win over Mura, as Ryan Sessegnon (knock) and Steven Bergwijn (ankle) remain absent.
Villa will welcome Axel Tuanzebe back after the defender was ineligible for last weekend’s win at Manchester United.
Leon Bailey, Morgan Sanson (both muscle), Trezeguet and Keinan Davis (both knee) remain absent.
- Tottenham have won five of their last six league meetings against Aston Villa (W5, L1).
- Villa have won two of their last five league visits to Tottenham (W2, L3), although both teams have won once in two clashes at the Tottenham" 24956 target="_blank">Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.
- Spurs have kept just one clean sheet in their last five home league matches against Villa.
- 20 of Tottenham’s 28 corners this season in their opening six league matches have been delivered by Son Heung-Min.
- Both of Danny Ings’ two league goals for Villa this season has been scored on his right foot.
Although Spurs recorded a dominant victory against Mura on Thursday evening in Europe, I am not entirely convinced that it is a turning point because Mura is weaker opposition than many Premier League clubs, so I do expect a difficult battle here if Tottenham’s domestic defensive issues are still present.
Nuno Espirito Santo though will be hoping that his Spurs don’t concede three goals for the fourth consecutive league game, because they do look very brightly strong up top yet it is poor defending across the pitch that cost them in recent matches.
Aston Villa meanwhile were impressive last weekend in their win at Manchester United in which they played with strong pressing and little fear, yet poor finishing almost cost them until Kortney Hause’s late winner from a set piece which is where Villa has been most dangerous so far this season.
Both teams though will be up for this so I do expect a tough contest here but if Villa can dig in and frustrate Spurs’ defence long enough, they should have the edge to snatch a win here.