Violent thug who tried to kill Celtic fan caught on dash cam carrying out attack hours after Old Firm game

A violent thug was caught on a taxi dash cam trying to kill a man hours after a Celtic and Rangers match.

Kyle Beard, 27, brutally stabbed Francis McCann in the neck following a disturbance in Glasgow ‘s Merchant City on March 31, 2019.

The 48 year-old slumped to the ground before being hit by associates of Beard.

Beard sprinted off from the stricken victim, but was eventually held by police and went on trial at the High Court in Glasgow.

Officers from Police Scotland and paramedics on the scene on Albion Street

But, after two days of CCTV evidence, Beard – via his QC Thomas Ross – today pled guilty to attempting to murder Celtic fan Mr McCann.

Not guilty pleas to assaulting three other men that day were accepted by prosecutor Bill McVicar.

Mr McVicar then revealed Beard already had a string of jail-terms for violence with blades.

Lord Harrower remanded him in custody and adjourned the case until a later date when further details of the incident and Mr McCann’s injuries will be heard.

Emergency services on the scene

The murder bid occurred at the junction of the city’s Albion Street and Blackfrairs Street.

The city centre was busy that Sunday afternoon after the Celtic and Rangers match earlier at Parkhead.

Mr McCann had been at the Strathduie Bar in the Merchant City before the attack.

A number of people were seen on CCTV running out of the pub as chaotic scenes then broke out at the end of the street.

A taxi meantime passed intending to drop passengers off in the Merchant City.

It was footage from the cab’s dash cams which played a vital role in the case.

One camera caught Beard horrifically plunging a knife into Mr McCann right outside the windows of a flat.

Did you know you can keep up to date with the latest news by signing up to our daily newsletter?

We send a morning and lunchtime newsletter covering the latest headlines every day.

We also send coronavirus updates at 5pm on weekdays, and a round up of the week’s must-read stories on Sunday afternoons.

Signing up is simple, easy and free.

You can pop your email address into the sign up box above, hit Subscribe and we’ll do the rest.

Alternatively, you can sign up and check out the rest of our newsletters here.

As the tattooed thug ran off, others with him punched and then stamped on the victim. Cider was also chucked towards him.

One of the shocked taxi passengers could be heard stating: “His whole face is caved in.”

Jurors were also shown later photographs of large pools and trails of blood in the street after the attack.

Mr McCann had been due to give evidence today before Beard suddenly entered his guilty plea.

Eight others had also been accused of attempting to murder him.

James Quinn, 22, William Barclay, 29, Jack Docherty, 29, Jamie Kinnaird, 27, and 25 year-old James Gemmell instead pled guilty to lesser assaults on Mr McCann before the trial began.

Andrew Quinn, 28, and Kahl Cullen, 25, had not guilty pleas accepted and instead each admitted assaults on other men that day.
They will also return to court with Beard to be sentenced.

Gemma Martin, 27, had not guilty pleas accepted for all accusations she faced.

Source link