North Macedonia meet Netherlands at Johan Cruyff Arena in their final Group C clash of Euro 2020.
Although North Macedonia have been eliminated, victory would finish their campaign on a high whereas Netherlands look to continue building momentum heading into the knockout stages.
Embed from Getty Images
North Macedonia manager, Igor Angelovski is set to rotate his starting eleven with Darko Churlinov and Milan Ristovski in contention to start alongside first-team regulars like Goran Pandev, who could be playing his final international match at 37 years-old.
Netherlands manager, Frank De Boer could rotate his squad with Tim Krul, Joel Veltman, Davy Klaassen and Cody Gakpo amongst fringe players pushing for starts.
- This is North Macedonia’s first-ever clash against Netherlands at a major tournament.
- Netherlands are unbeaten in four previous meetings against North Macedonia (W2, D2).
- North Macedonia are winless in two previous ‘home’ matches against Netherlands (D1, L1), with Netherlands scoring twice in both clashes as the ‘away’ team.
- Three of Memphis Depay’s last four goals for Netherlands have been scored before half time.
- North Macedonia are looking to avoid a third consecutive defeat for the first time since being renamed in 2019 from their old name of FYR Macedonia who lost five consecutive matches in 2016.
North Macedonia certainly had a difficult group for their maiden Euros campaign but they haven’t disgraced themselves with strong attacking performances, even though their defending has ultimately cost them but they can atone for those errors here if Netherlands field a weak team.
Speaking of the Dutch, they were simply dominant against Austria on Thursday who just showed up with no real passion and are consequently through as Group B winners, which should make their team selection interesting because this is now more like a friendly for them with nothing to really play for.
Team selections therefore feels like it will be pivotal to the result because if North Macedonia goes for a strong lineup, I can see them snatching a draw if can take the game to a likely weaker Dutch team.
Prediction: North Macedonia 1-1 Netherlands